Change is good, right? Whether you’re ready for fall or you’re still clinging onto the last few weeks of summer, it’s always good to embrace change, or at least prepare for it! For some Alloy 26 members, this may be your first fall in the ‘Burgh, and you’re definitely in for a treat. The North Side is a beautiful area in the fall with its parks and proximity to the North Shore during football season.
Another fall bonus, besides the changing leaves, is changing taps – beer taps that is. During fall, light shandies and ales are replaced with delicious pumpkin beers. Even if you’re not a #pumpkinspice fan, one pumpkin beer a season will help you fall in love with fall.
Just like summer, fall has plenty of awesome activities to take advantage of and a ton of delicious beers to taste, unique to this season. Whether you are looking for festivities to do with your kids or places to enjoy with your friends, Pittsburgh provides many opportunities to enjoy fall in a fun way!
We’ve put together a list of some of the tastiest fall beers you will want to get your hands on this season. Whether you’re into light lagers or IPAs there is a beer on this list for you.
- Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Wheat Ale: Calling all Blue Moon lovers! It is time for your beloved beer to ditch the orange zest and replace it with a tasty pumpkin spice flavors. Don’t worry! You can still get the Belgian Wheat, but what is the fun in that?
- Anderson Valley Pinchy Jeek Barrel Bourbon Barrel Aged Pumpkin Ale: This pumpkin ale is aged in Wild Turkey whiskey barrels, and has a creamy, nutty flavor. Be careful! The ABV is 8.5% so pace yourself!
- Southern Tier Pumking: This popular ale has a hefty ABV of 8.6% with delicious flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. If you love Southern Tier Brewing this beer will not disappoint!
- Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale: Sitting at an 8.0% ABV, this ale flavor profiles include cardamom, ginger, and nutmeg. Again, pace yourself for best results.
- Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin: Not into the powerful pumpkin flavor? This is the fall beer for you. While the pumpkin flavor lacks the alcohol doesn’t! ABV 9.0%!
- Jack-O Traveler Pumpkin Shandy: For those of you who love fruity, summer shandies this pumpkin Shandy is the one for you to enjoy. It carries the delicious fall flavors in a light crisp way.
- Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale: Sam Adams strikes again with another delicious beer. This time, appealing to the fall crowd, this amber ale with real pumpkin is a wonderful choice for this season.
- Blockhouse Brewing Pumpkin Ale: Time to switch over from Blockhouse Summer Break to its pumpkin edition! This pumpkin beer holds all the flavor of a pumpkin pie with an ABV of 7.0%! Be careful, they go down fast!
Now that you know what you’ll be drinking this fall, what is it you’ll be doing? Pittsburgh has farms and festivals for you to check out when sitting around a fire with your Pumpkin Ale just isn’t enough.
- Soergel Orchards Fall Festival: Every weekend beginning September 23rd until the end of October, head out to the Orchards to take a Hayride, travel through the cornstalk maze and enjoy fall treats. Don’t forget to pick the perfect pumpkin to take home with you!
- Pumpkinfest: Located right here in the Northside, this huge fall festival is for the kids! Make it a day with your family!
- Football Game at Heinz Field: To many fall, means football season! Tailgate the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Pittsburgh Panthers football games with your friends and then head in to root on your hometown team!
- Shenot Farm and Market: Just a 20-minute drive from the city, experience award-winning apple cider and take home plenty of apples from the orchard as well as pumpkins from the pumpkin patch! This farm also offers hayrides!
Grab a friend or coworker and taste a fall beer before jumping into some great activities this fall. Oh – and share your #fall experiences with us on Facebook and Instagram!